Saturday, July 2, 2016

The CupCake Trials: Expedition One


So this Summer I have decided to embark on a baking mission: to bake as many damn cupcakes as f**king possible.  Also just to bake more in general, but that's a side note.  Anyhoo- today is my first day in this baking adventure and I'm trying to take it a little slow and ease my way into baking.  So instead of going crazy and baking 5 different cupcakes on my first try I'm going to focus in on one aspect of the cupcake: the frosting. 

I'm going to attempt to make the dankest frosting I can: a sweet cream cheese frosting.  It's my absolute favorite kind and I'm so excited to try to actually make some on my own- from scratch- with absolutely no help from any chemical packaging. 

For the actual cake I will be using a Funfetti mix- so I'm cheating a little yes.  My goal is to make the Funfetti cakes and then add on the cream cheese frosting- which I've never actually done before so this should be interesting.  I decided to go for a  simple frosting recipe with only the very basic of ingredients (I'm a broke college student at the moment so the simpler the better).  I found a good one on allrecipes.com- click here for the link. 


Step One:


Pre- heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, and then pour the Funfetti mix into the bowl.  Add in one egg, half a cup of oil, and a bit of milk to the mix and stir until smooth. 


Step Two:


When the batter is smooth pour a scoopful of the batter into each cupcake holder.  Most people will tell you to only fill it halfway up but I personally like my cupcakes extra big- so I fill them pretty much 75% of the way up.  When this is done put them in the oven for 18-20 minutes. 


Step Three:


While the cupcakes are in the oven, start work on the cream cheese frosting.  The recipe calls for 6oz of cream cheese, 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract, half a cup of butter, and 2 cups of sugar.  All in all, pretty simple.  Simple mix it all together and whip it 'til smooth.  If you're like me and are too broke to have a mixer this can be a bit of a process and your arm will be sore by the end (definitely counts towards my "workout"). 


Step Four:



Take cupcakes out of the oven (turn off the stove!!!).  Then take a freezer bag and pour the frosting into the bag.  When this is complete cut one of the corners of the bag, creating a DIY cupcake decorating device.  AKA you will be able to make your cupcakes look pretty good. 


Step Five:

giphy.com


Eat your cupcakes- you deserve it :)


No comments:

Post a Comment